Determine the Room’s Focal Point
Whether it is the living room, bedroom, or dining room, each room must have a focal point. The focal point is what the entire room’s furniture placement should be based off of.
- Bedroom: In most interior design, the focal point in every bedroom is the bed. Most people center their bed in relation to the center of a wall. The placement of the bed will define where the remaining furniture goes. Designers recommended placing the bed directly across from the window and the remaining furniture on the opposite side of the room as the door. This is the best way to open up and utilize your bedroom’s space.
- Living Room: When determining the focal point in your living room, do not just limit yourself to placement around the TV. If you have a fireplace or a large window for instance, these are also good focal points. If the TV is your focal point, face it away from the sunlight to avoid glare. This will cause distraction away from the focal point defeating its purpose in the room.
- Dining Room: Common focal points in a dining room are large windows, like the living room, or a prominent chandelier or other lighting fixture. If it’s a large window, the table would be centered across from the window. If it’s a chandelier, the table should be centered directly underneath it.
Establish the Room’s Purpose or Theme
Some rooms are meant to be welcoming and relaxing while others serve as a pathway to another room. No matter what the room may be, there is always a purpose of funtion it holds. Once you have an idea of what you want the feel of your room to be, you can establish an arrangement of your furniture to serve the purpose of the room.
- Walkways: Establishing walkways in a room is very important, especially for rooms that act as entryways like dens. Keep space between pieces of furniture and walls to create a path around the border of the room. To create paths in between furniture, place pieces about 30 inches apart from each other.
- Encourage the theme: If the room is meant to serve as an entertainment hub, face seating towards each other to encourage conversation. A coffee table centered within reach of all seating is ideal and comforting for guests. If your room’s theme is cozy and warming, revolve seating around the warming focal point like a fireplace. In addition to encouraging the theme, maintaining the theme of the room is important to the placement of your furniture.
Consider the Size of the Room
While embarking on furniture rearrangement, some factors like the size of a room, are beyond our control. No matter if the room is small or large; the arrangement of your furniture can maximize the space as a whole.
- Utilizing a small room: The challenge often faced with small rooms is finding a way to fit all furniture in the room but still having enough space to function. Unfortunately, the only solution to this problem may be to take some pieces out of the room. When trying to decide what furniture you should keep, remember that small rooms work best with tall pieces. Designers also suggest choosing fewer pieces of larger furniture instead of more pieces of smaller furniture to maximize the floor space.
- Utilizing a large room: Large rooms do not have the same issues as small rooms. However, an issue in large rooms is that the room serves a dual purpose. For example, a large living room in the front of a house may act as a social area and entryway. Organizing your furniture to create two small rooms in one big room can be easily done. For décor purposes, designers advise that the theme stay consistent between the two newly-created small rooms.
How Woodchuck’s Can Help You
Woodchuck’s has a wide variety of furniture for every room in your house fitting to any theme. If rearranging your current furniture is beyond your reach, come into Jacksonville’s favorite furniture store and we will help you select pieces to accent each room’s purpose. Services offered at Woodchuck’s that may be useful to you are:
- In Home Design Assistance: Complimentary to all customers, one of our design consultants will come to your home and help bring the visions you have for your room to life.
- Design Center: Become a designer and customize sofas, beds, loveseats and more.
- Room Planner: Define the layout of your room and place furniture in the plan to see what pieces would be the best fit. These floor plans can be saved and emailed to your family, friends and decorator for additional advice.
Whether you are rearranging or redecorating, Woodchuck’s can provide you with all of the tools necessary to embark on your project. Contact us today or stop in at the store for assistance from one of our talented designers.